History

Boshi Sen

The institute was established at Kolkata (then known as Calcutta) by Padma Bhushan late Prof. Boshi Sen on July 4, 1924 and named it as Vivekananda Laboratory.  The Laboratory was permanently shifted to Almora in 1936 and was being run on donations and grants till it was handed over to Uttar Pradesh Government in 1959. On October 1, 1974, ICAR took it over and renamed as Vivekananda Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan. The institute is located at Almora (1600m amsl, latitude 29º35’ N, longitude 79º39’E) in Uttarakhand hills with its experimental farm at Hawalbagh (1250 m amsl, latitude 29º36’ N, longitude 79º 40’ E). 

 

IMPORTANT MILESTONES IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE INSTITUTE
Years Important Milestones
2012 Received Mahindra Krishi Samridhi India Agri Award 2012
2008 Received Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award 2007
2001 Received Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award 2000
1986 Creation of divisions/sections
1974 Transfer of Laboratory to ICAR and broadening of mandate
1959 Transfer of Laboratory to U. P. Government and allotment of 215 acre land
1952 Allotment of 15 acre land at Hawalbagh
1943 Change in priority from fundamental physiological research to agriculture
1936 Permanently shifted the Laboratory to Kundan House, Almora
1924 Establishment as small room Laboratory in Calcutta - One man laboratory
   

Page Last Updated On : 12-06-2017